Sunday, January 31, 2010

Still Alive

Hey guys (especially Mr. Lenzi)I wanted to make sure you all know that I'm still working on this blog. I've been busy with the play lately and I missed the Connelsville game. I've been trying to make it to a few girls games but I really haven't had a chance lately. But anyway I'll provide a little analysis here. GS still appears to be one of the top teams in the WPIAL. The main issue for them right now though is going for the section title. While Laurel Highlands is a formidable opponent,I feel that GS matches up very well with them. I honestly do not believe that any team in the section other than Laurel Highlands can defeat GS and the match up between the two teams at GS in February will most likely determine the section winner. The WPIAL playoffs are a whole different story. Chartiers Valley appears to be stacked, despite not having star sophomore Wayne Capers Jr. on the court. T.J McConnell continues to show why Duquesne offered him a scholarship his junior year despite his size. Hampton also appears to be every bit as good as they were last year when the won the WPIAL title and then lost in the state semifinals to this one team, someone please remind me who that was.... If GS wins the section, they have a very good chance at winning a WPIAL championship. This team has experience along with balanced scoring. The rest of the season should be exciting.

5 comments:

  1. I'll help you out w/Connelsville...
    Basically, we played a relatively sloppy game until the fourth quarter, where the defense stepped up and Jake had a clutch offensive spurt to give us the lead, and a perfect effort from the foul line in the last minute preserved the victory...turnovers marred our efforts throughout the majority of the game, but we were able to overcome that along with the "exuberant" officiating by the crew on hand.
    And throughout the whole game, I never doubted that we would win. This Lions team has an aura of optimism. No matter what has happened in any game this year, I have never doubted that we would win until three of our final scores showed us on the losing side. NO doubt this team is going to be around well into March in both the WPIAL and PIAA playoffs. We will be a force to be reckoned, with a diverse offensive attack that is proficient inside and from beyond the arc, along with a stifling defense allowing a little over 51 points a game, a minus ten differential from the points scored per game, at 61.
    Not only that, but Coach Paul has coached these kids not only with the wealth of talent they have, but he has developed the team into a composition of players who do not wilt under pressure and play efficient, smart basketball. With five games left in the year, we look to wrap up a section regular season title by winning out and assuring a high seed in postseason play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust me, Pat, I am certainly paying attention... From what I'm seeing, you need to diversify the sports that you're blogging about. You've got bowling, hockey, swimming, wrestling, indoor track and field and girls' basketball that all should be getting some credit if you're going to do this right. It was my impression that this was to be a blog about GS sports, not just the boys' basketball team. In no way do I mean that as a knock on the boys' team - they are having another tremendous season so far and deserve the pub. But the student athletes who are working hard in these other sports do as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Mr. Lenzi. The only issue I have is covering sports that I truly do not understand, and to be perfectly honest, I do not know the specifics of wrestling or bowling. Not to mention that I am having trouble finding an audience and as you know, newspapers use material that the readers are interested in.I will certainly cover baseball, track, and lacrosse during the spring season when I have more time. Thank you for the insight though, I'll definitely work on that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Getting to the sport is the first part of understanding it. I am certain that people on the bowling team would be more than happy to explain things to you - same with wrestling. The other thing to do to get started is to go with somebody who does have a good idea of what's going on. This was exactly how I learned things about wrestling. The key is being there, though...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bowling is a great sport. When I wrote an article before I was on the staff for Mr. Lenzi, I attended a match and saw just how great the bowling team really was. Even if it is just a recap of the team's season would be pretty interesting to read. Interviewing the team was easy and surprisingly fun.

    Mr Lenzi, for your enjoyment check out what a few friends and I started on our blog. Feel free to show your class. Hey, even put it in the paper.

    ReplyDelete